- Mar 1, 2012: ADOPTED
- Mar 1, 2012: REPORTED TO CALENDAR FOR CONSIDERATION
- Feb 16, 2012: REFERRED TO FINANCE
ATIVE RESOLUTION commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Town en, New York S, It is the intent of this Legislative Body to honor and commem- the distinguished histories of the communities which comprise the body of this great Empire State; and EAS, Attendant to such concern, and in full accord with its long- ng traditions, this Legislative Body is justly proud to commem- the 200th Anniversary of the Town of Galen, New York, in Wayne , New York; and EAS, To celebrate this auspicious occasion numerous events have lanned beginning with a special postal cancellation conducted by Darnell at the Clyde Post Office on South Park Street on Tuesday, ry 14, 2012; Mr. Darnell moved his canceling operation across the to the Brick Church Museum; at the museum, a reception was held included a short talk describing life in Galen in 1812; another sion, later that day, focused on life in 1912; and EAS, In addition, on Saturday, March 24, 2012, a bicentennial t will be held at the Bud Hinman Post No. 947 V.F.W. Hall; the m, entitled "Glimpses of Galen," will use the services of several ters to provide insights into both family and community life Galen's 200 years; and EAS, The Town of Galen, New York, was originally part of Military ip No. 27-Galen, given as compensation for services to the medical ment of the American Revolution, and was reserved for physicians rgeons of the New York regiments; and EAS, The first to settle in the Town of Galen was Laomi Beadle n 1800, built the first log house, planted the first orchard, and the first sawmill; and EAS, Named after the celebrated physician, Claudius Galenus, the f Galen was organized by state law as a civil town on February 14, and EAS, On September 6, 1814, The Galen Union Library opened; that ear, a schoolhouse opened in Lock Berlin; and EAS, For a large part of the 19th Century, the Town of Galen was a manufacturer of glass; and EAS, In 1828, William DeZeng and his brother-in-law James Rees d the first glass factory in the village of Clyde; the company ued under several names and was incorporated as Clyde Glassworks 5; it closed in 1915 with the advent of machinery that replaced assblowers; and EAS, The Town of Galen was also the location of one of the four War II prisoner of war camps in Wayne County; the camp in Clyde ocated at the old high school building on the corner of Caroline ck Streets; 50 Italian prisoners of war lived there in 1943, and ollowing year, they were replaced by 116 Germans; the camp closed 6; and EAS, At close proximity to the Erie Canal and the railroad, the f Galen became a center of small industry; and EAS, The Town of Galen is home to Thomas Electric Corp and another employer, Parker Hannifin, as well as many small to medium busi- , industries, and local farms; and EAS, Today, the Town of Galen is a rural community with a popu- of about 4,400, with many people living within the village of Clyde was incorporated in 1858; and EAS, Remaining fruitful over the ebb and flow of decades of growth ange, the Town of Galen, New York continues its commitment to ing the quality of life of its citizens, ensuring a positive busi- institutional and educational climate, and providing all essential es; now, therefore, be it LVED, That this Legislative Body pause in its deliberations to orate the 200th Anniversary of the Town of Galen, New York, recog- the significance of the role it continues to play in the life of mmunity of the State of New York; and be it further LVED, That a copy of this Resolution, suitably engrossed, be tran- d to the Town of Galen, New York.