- Jun 12, 2012: ADOPTED
- Jun 12, 2012: REPORTED TO CALENDAR FOR CONSIDERATION
- Jun 6, 2012: REFERRED TO FINANCE
LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTION commemorating the 175th Anniversary of the Town of Forestburgh, to be celebrated on Forestburgh Day, August 11, 2012 WHEREAS, It is the intent of this Legislative Body to honor and commem orate the distinguished histories of the communities which comprise the noble body of this great Empire State; and WHEREAS, Attendant to such concern, and in full accord with its long standing traditions, this Legislative Body is justly proud to commem orate the 175th Anniversary of the Town of Forestburgh, to be celebrated on Forestburgh Day, August 11, 2012; and WHEREAS, Forestburgh is one of the smallest of the 15 towns of Sulli van County, bordered by Thompson, Lumberland and Mamakating; and WHEREAS, Early inhabitants in the 1780s were of Celtic, German and Swedish ancestry; David Handy and his wife were the first known sett lers; and WHEREAS, By Act of Legislature in 1837, Forestburgh became a town, taken from lands of Thompson and Mamakating, part of the Hardenburgh patent; William Broadhead was the town's first Supervisor, serving from 1837-1840, and was twice a member of the Assembly from Sullivan County; and
WHEREAS, After the American Revolution, tanneries, quarries, fishing, hunting, trapping and lumbering induced settlers; W.W. Gilman arrived about 1850 and brought trade and population growth to the town as he established a lumber mill, built 32 houses for his employees, boarding houses, a tannery and also a store; and WHEREAS, Thereafter, a railroad was commissioned to serve the area and a post office became necessary; resorts and summer camps soon emerged; and
WHEREAS, When W.W. Gilman died, he left three million dollars; his brother, George Gilman, then founded and renamed the A & P Tea Company coinciding with the opening of the railroad connecting the east and west; and WHEREAS, In 1982, a log cabin was discovered within an existing home in Forestburgh, when the recently purchased farmhouse was being reno vated; the cabin's age was traced to 1834, and the origin believed to be in the 1700s when it was a pioneer schoolhouse; a title search indicated Abe Cuddeback as owner, before the town was even established; and WHEREAS, In 1895, the first Town Hall, and in 1963, the first Fire House came into being, continuing today with all dedicated volunteers; and
WHEREAS, The Forestburgh Playhouse began in 1947 from an old farm house, and a 100 year old barn, purchased from Walter and Elsie Klebs; it has been in existence over 50 years, and though there were two sepa rate fires through the years, one destroying the large farmhouse and the other a smaller home, it is still in existence with additions to the main barn and an added cabaret building; and WHEREAS, Also located in the Town of Forestburgh is the Merriewold Park which is famous for being the residence of many play writers, and stage and screen actors and actresses; in addition, Sho Fu Den, the Japanese palace brought here from the 1939 New York's World Fair by Dr. Takamine, chemist and inventor can be found in Forestburgh; and WHEREAS, The Inn at Lake Joseph, currently under the direction of Ivan Weiner, was a vacation home for the late Cardinal Hayes; in the 1940s and 1950s, it abounded with children in the summer as a camp, and also a teaching facility for the Dominican Sisters who used to run St. Josephs; and
WHEREAS, Today, many second home dwellings exist in the Town of Forestburgh for seasonal and weekend vacationers; there are also desig nated areas to preserve wildlife, especially the bald eagle habitat, along the Mongaup River; and WHEREAS, Remaining fruitful over the ebb and flow of decades of growth and change, the Town of Forestburgh continues its commitment to enhanc ing the quality of life of its citizens, ensuring a positive business, institutional and educational climate, and providing all essential services; now, therefore, be it RESOLVED, That this Legislative Body pause in its deliberations to commemorate the 175th Anniversary of the Town of Forestburgh, recogniz ing the significance of the role it continues to play in the life of the community of the State of New York; and be it further RESOLVED, That a copy of this Resolution, suitably engrossed, be tran smitted to the Town of Forestburgh.