Resolution J5190-2013

Commemorating the 160th Anniversary of the Church of Saint Mary, Manhasset, New York, to be celebrated on June 7, 2014

Details

Actions

  • May 20, 2014: ADOPTED
  • May 20, 2014: REPORTED TO CALENDAR FOR CONSIDERATION
  • May 16, 2014: REFERRED TO FINANCE

Text

LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTION commemorating the 160th Anniversary of the Church
of Saint Mary, Manhasset, New York, to be celebrated on June 7, 2014

WHEREAS,  Religious  institutions,  and  the  many spiritual, social and
educational benefits they confer, play a vital role in  the  development
of the moral fabric of a responsible citizenry; and
  WHEREAS,  It  is  the  tradition  of this State and this Nation to pay
tribute to those institutions and individuals who  have  contributed  to
the ethical and spiritual values of their communities; and
  WHEREAS,  This  Legislative  Body  takes pleasure in commemorating the
160th Anniversary of the Church of Saint Mary, Manhasset, New  York,  to
be  celebrated  at a gala held on Saturday, June 7, 2014, at North Hills
Country Club in Manhasset, New York; and
  WHEREAS, The Church of Saint Mary is a  sprawling,  prosperous  parish
whose  history  spans  the years from the dedication of the first church
building, to the dedication of the present church building; and
  WHEREAS, On July 29, 1853, Reverend John J.  McMahon,  pastor  of  St.
Michael's  Church  in  Flushing,  New  York, wrote to Bishop John Hughes
asking permission to establish a mission church at Manhasset for the few
German and Irish Catholic farmers in  the  area;  soon  after,  Reverend
James O'Beirne, the new pastor at St. Michael's continued to promote the
mission Church of Saint Mary's at Manhasset; and
  WHEREAS,  Reverend  James O'Beirne built a new church at Flushing, and
as soon as the new church was ready for occupancy, he had the old church
moved to Manhasset; and
  WHEREAS, Despite its new, hand-me-down church building,  Saint  Mary's
remained  a  mission  church  of  Flushing until May 1863 when its first
resident pastor, Father James A. Strain, arrived from Ireland; and
  WHEREAS, In November of 1875, Saint Mary's was incorporated  as  Saint
Mary's  R.C.  Church at Manhasset in Queens County, and it still remains
this old legal title; in June 1871, it  became  the  mission  church  of
Saint Mary's, Roslyn, and remained in that status until 1901; and
  WHEREAS,  Throughout the years, Saint Mary's has been appointed numer-
ous pastors, and in March 1912, Reverend William  K.  Dwyer  became  the
pastor  of  the  newly  released church and the growth and blossoming of
Saint Mary's Manhasset began; he built the rectory and  occupied  it  by
1916, after which he started building the new church, and is responsible
for its Spanish mission style architecture; and
  WHEREAS,  On  October 17, 1917, Saint Mary's opened for service, which
also served for meetings and socials; eighty-five years later, the pres-
ent pastor, Monsignor John McCann, has overseen the  renovation  of  the
same area; and
  WHEREAS, In May of 1925, the Saint Mary's parochial school began, laid
its  cornerstone  in  September of that year, and opened for classes one
year later; and
  WHEREAS, The land that was bought for the parochial school also had  a
farm  house, which served as the first home for the nuns, Sisters of the
Immaculate Heart of Mary, who were the first teachers in the  elementary
school; many years later, after the convent was built, this house served
as  the  first residence for the Marist Brothers who taught at the boys'
high school; and
  WHEREAS, The Church of  Saint  Mary  underwent  many  improvements  by
fundraising  campaigns,  and  finally  in  1950,  the  high  school  was
completed; in 1952, permission was granted to expand the church,  double
its size, expand the convent, and improve the Brothers' house; and

  WHEREAS, The Church of Saint Mary stands on the threshold of tomorrow,
prepared  to  meet  the challenges of the coming decades while retaining
that spiritual resolve which characterizes its past; and
  WHEREAS,  It  is  the  custom of this Legislative Body to take note of
enduring religious institutions and to bring such  institutions  to  the
attention of the people of this Empire State; now, therefore, be it
  RESOLVED,  That  this  Legislative  Body pause in its deliberations to
commemorate the 160th Anniversary of the Church of Saint Mary of Manhas-
set, New York, to be celebrated on June 7, 2014,  fully  confident  that
this commemoration reflects the belief in those values which enhance the
dignity and purpose of life; and be it further
  RESOLVED, That a copy of this Resolution, suitably engrossed, be tran-
smitted to the Church of Saint Mary, Manhasset, New York.

Comments

Open Legislation comments facilitate discussion of New York State legislation. All comments are subject to moderation. Comments deemed off-topic, commercial, campaign-related, self-promotional; or that contain profanity or hate speech; or that link to sites outside of the nysenate.gov domain are not permitted, and will not be published. Comment moderation is generally performed Monday through Friday.

By contributing or voting you agree to the Terms of Participation and verify you are over 13.

Discuss!

blog comments powered by Disqus