Directs the commissioner of education to prepare an annual course of study of the history of the American flag to encourage participation therein by students and faculty and indicate that the pledge is taken in recognition of the sacrifices made by the men and women of the armed forces of the United States in defense of our country.
Law Section: Education Law
Law: Amd S802, Ed L
Co-sponsor(s): AVELLACommittee: EDUCATION
Law Section: Education Law
Law: Amd S802, Ed L
- Jan 9, 2012: PRINT NUMBER 1719A
- Jan 9, 2012: AMEND AND RECOMMIT TO EDUCATION
- Jan 4, 2012: REFERRED TO EDUCATION
- Jan 11, 2011: REFERRED TO EDUCATION
BILL NUMBER:S1719A TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the education law, in relation to the pledge of allegiance PURPOSE OF BILL: This bill will authorize the commissioner to establish an annual course of study of the history of the American flag in an effort to encourage the participation of its recitation among the students and faculty of the schools in New York State. The annual course of study of the history of the American flag will focus on the sacrifices that were made by those men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States in defense of our country. SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS: This bill amends Subdivision 1 of section 802 of the education law, as amended by chapter 601 of the laws of 1996, to authorize the commissioner to prepare an annual course of study of the history of the American flag to focus attention on the sacrifices made by the men and women who have served in the armed forces. JUSTIFICATION: All too often, the daily pledge of allegiance has been disregarded and little effort has been made in schools to encourage participation in the pledge's recitation. This legislation would require the Commissioner to prepare an annual course of study of the history of the American flag in an effort to promote student's awareness of the importance of reciting the pledge of allegiance. LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: 2010: S.7211 - Referred to Education 2007-2008: S.225 - Referred to Education 2005-2006: S.418 - Referred to Education 2003-2004: S.1187 - Referred to Education 2001-2002: S.1656 - Referred to Education 1999-2001: S.3872 - Referred to Education FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: The State Education Department estimates a State fiscal implication $285,000 for 2010-11. The teaching of this new curriculum would be optional to local school districts, resulting in no local mandate. EFFECTIVE DATE: This act shall take effect on September 1, 2012.
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K ________________________________________________________________________ 1719--A 2011-2012 Regular Sessions I N SENATE January 11, 2011 ___________ Introduced by Sens. ADDABBO, AVELLA -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Education -- recommitted to the Committee on Education in accordance with Senate Rule 6, sec. 8 -- committee discharged, bill amended, ordered reprinted as amended and recommitted to said committee AN ACT to amend the education law, in relation to the pledge of alle- giance THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Subdivision 1 of section 802 of the education law, as amended by chapter 601 of the laws of 1996, is amended to read as follows:
1. It shall be the duty of the commissioner to prepare, for the use of the public schools of the state, a program providing for a salute to the flag and a daily pledge of allegiance to the flag, and instruction in its correct use and display which shall include, as a minimum, specific instruction regarding respect for the flag of the United States of Amer- ica, its display and use as provided by federal statute and regulation and such other patriotic exercises as may be deemed by him to be expedi- ent, under such regulations and instructions as may best meet the varied requirements of the different grades in such schools. However, such instruction shall include, as a minimum, the provisions of sections one hundred seventy through one hundred seventy-seven of title thirty-six of the United States Code. THE COMMISSIONER SHALL ALSO PREPARE, AS PART OF SUCH PROGRAM, WHICH MAY BE USED BY SCHOOL AUTHORITIES, AN ANNUAL COURSE OF STUDY OF THE HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN FLAG THAT ENCOURAGES PARTIC- IPATION IN THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE BY STUDENTS AND FACULTY AND THAT INDICATES THAT THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE IS TAKEN IN RECOGNITION OF THE SACRIFICES THAT HAVE BEEN MADE BY THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES IN DEFENSE OF OUR COUNTRY. S 2. This act shall take effect on September 1, 2012; provided that the commissioner of education is authorized to promulgate any rules necessary to implement this act on or before its effective date. EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD02025-02-2