Permits Onondaga county to collaborate with other counties with respect to operating and maintaining a foreign trade zone.
Law Section: County Law
Law: Amd S224, County L
Law Section: County Law
Law: Amd S224, County L
- Mar 27, 2012: SUBSTITUTED BY A9336
- Mar 26, 2012: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
- Mar 22, 2012: 2ND REPORT CAL.
- Mar 21, 2012: 1ST REPORT CAL.449
- Feb 13, 2012: REFERRED TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT
S6471-2011 MeetingsLocal Government: Mar 21, 2012
S6471-2011 CalendarsActive List: Mar 27, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Mar 22, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Mar 26, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Mar 27, 2012
VOTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Local Government - Mar 21, 2012
Ayes (7): Martins, Ball, Little, McDonald, Ritchie, Stewart-Cousins, Klein
Excused (1): Oppenheimer
BILL NUMBER:S6471 TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the county law, in relation to permit- ting Onondaga county to collaborate with other counties with respect to operating and maintaining a foreign trade zone PURPOSE: To permit Onondaga County to collaborate with other counties with respect to operating and maintaining a foreign trade zone. SUMMARY OF PROVISIONS: Section 1. Amends subdivision 23 of section 224 of county law to desig- nate a service area to include adjacent counties of Cayuga, Oswego and Madison which are counties located adjacent to the Syracuse Hancock International Airport. JUSTIFICATION: Currently, Onondaga County is authorized under subdivi- sion 23 section 24 of county law to operate a Foreign Trade Zone within Onondaga County. The Onondaga County legislature has requested that this Foreign Trade Zone Service Area be expanded to include areas adjacent to the Airport. The Foreign Trade Zone regulations define adjacency to be areas located within sixty miles or ninety minutes driving time of a United States Customs and Boarder Protection Port of Entry. Imports and exports are a major source of growth for Central New York. This expan- sion would permit further regional economic development as businesses will be incentivized to locate within this region, and current busi- nesses will be better able to expand their distribution area and increase international trade. LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: New bill. FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None. EFFECTIVE DATE: This act shall take effect immediately.
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K ________________________________________________________________________ 6471 I N SENATE February 13, 2012 ___________ Introduced by Sens. DeFRANCISCO, RITCHIE, NOZZOLIO, VALESKY -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Local Government AN ACT to amend the county law, in relation to permitting Onondaga coun- ty to collaborate with other counties with respect to operating and maintaining a foreign trade zone THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Subdivision 23 of section 224 of the county law, as amended by chapter 2 of the laws of 1985, is amended to read as follows:
23. The county of Onondaga may make application to the Foreign Trade Zones Board established by the act of Congress, approved June eigh- teenth, nineteen hundred thirty-four, entitled "An act to provide the establishment, operation and maintenance of foreign trade zones in ports of entry of the United States, to expedite and encourage foreign commerce, and for other purposes," for a grant to Onondaga county of the privilege to have established, operated and maintained, a foreign trade zone or zones within such county AND ITS DESIGNATED SERVICE AREA, INCLUDING THE ADJACENT COUNTIES OF CAYUGA, OSWEGO AND MADISON, pursuant to the provisions of such act, and if such application be granted, to have established, operated and maintained such zone in accordance with law including [
a sub-zone to be located in Cortland county which has the authority to create said sub-zone pursuant to subdivision twenty-three-a of this section] SITES IN ONONDAGA COUNTY AND THE COUNTIES OF CAYUGA, OSWEGO, AND MADISON, WHICH ARE COUNTIES LOCATED ADJACENT TO THE SYRACUSE HANCOCK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT; FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION, THE TERM "ADJACENT" MEANS THOSE AREAS LOCATED WITHIN SIXTY MILES OR NINETY MINUTES DRIVING TIME OF A UNITED STATES CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION PORT OF ENTRY. [ Said sub-zone may only be created with the approval of the governing body of Cortland county.] The county of Onondaga may enter into such contracts and may appropriate such sums of money and may take such further actions as it may deem appropriate, subject to the provisions of this article, towards the promotion, establishment and maintenance of such zone or zones. S 2. This act shall take effect immediately. EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD13849-06-2