Relates to the eligibility of certain town officers; relieves the town of Fishkill of residency requirements for the position of comptroller.
- Jun 19, 2012: SUBSTITUTED BY A9795
- Jun 12, 2012: ADVANCED TO THIRD READING
- Jun 11, 2012: 2ND REPORT CAL.
- Jun 6, 2012: 1ST REPORT CAL.1121
- Apr 4, 2012: REFERRED TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT
S6897-2011 MeetingsLocal Government: Jun 6, 2012
S6897-2011 CalendarsActive List: Jun 19, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 11, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 12, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 13, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 14, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 18, 2012 , Floor Calendar: Jun 19, 2012
VOTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Local Government - Jun 6, 2012
Ayes (8): Martins, Ball, Little, McDonald, Ritchie, Stewart-Cousins, Oppenheimer, Klein
BILL NUMBER:S6897 TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the town law and the public officers law, in relation to the eligibility of certain town officers PURPOSE: This legislation would afford the town of Fishkill greater flexibility and a broader pool of potential qualified candidates in recruiting for the position of town comptroller. SUMMARY OF PROVISIONS: Section 1 amends Section 23 of the town law to provide that the person performing the function of comptroller in the town of Fishkill need not be a resident of the town. Section 2 amends Section 3 of the public officers law to provide that the town comptroller of the town of Fishkill need not be a resident of the town, provided that such person resides in the State of New York. JUSTIFICATION: The position of town comptroller requires a set of unique skills and specialized experience. As a result, it has been difficult for the town of Fishkill to recruit qualified individuals who maintain this skill set within the jurisdictional boundaries. This legislation would enable the town of Fishkill to hire a town comptroller who possesses the skills and experience necessary to carry out the duties of this position. Allowing the town of Fishkill to choose a qualified individual from a broader pool of candidates, without the limitation of a residency requirement, serves to benefit the residents and taxpayers of Fishkill. LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: New bill FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None. EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately.
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K ________________________________________________________________________ 6897 I N SENATE April 4, 2012 ___________ Introduced by Sen. SALAND -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Local Government AN ACT to amend the town law and the public officers law, in relation to the eligibility of certain town officers THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Section 23 of the town law is amended by adding a new subdivision 25 to read as follows:
25. NOTWITHSTANDING SUBDIVISION ONE OF THIS SECTION, IN THE TOWN OF FISHKILL, DUTCHESS COUNTY, THE PERSON PERFORMING THE FUNCTION OF COMP- TROLLER NEED NOT BE AN ELECTOR OF SUCH TOWN. PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THE PERSON PERFORMING THE FUNCTIONS OF COMPTROLLER IN ANY OTHER TOWN SHALL BE AN ELECTOR OF SUCH TOWN, UNLESS OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY AN ACT OF THE STATE LEGISLATURE. S 2. Section 3 of the public officers law is amended by adding a new subdivision 59 to read as follows:
59. IN THE TOWN OF FISHKILL, IN THE COUNTY OF DUTCHESS, THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION REQUIRING A PERSON TO BE A RESIDENT OF THE POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OR MUNICIPAL CORPORATION OF THE STATE FOR WHICH HE OR SHE SHALL BE CHOSEN OR WITHIN WHICH HIS OR HER OFFICIAL FUNCTIONS ARE REQUIRED TO BE EXERCISED, SHALL NOT PREVENT A PERSON FROM HOLDING THE OFFICE OF COMPTROLLER OF THE TOWN OF FISHKILL, PROVIDED THAT SUCH PERSON RESIDES IN THE STATE OF NEW YORK. PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THE PERSON PERFORM- ING THE FUNCTIONS OF COMPTROLLER IN ANY OTHER TOWN SHALL BE A RESIDENT OF SUCH TOWN, UNLESS OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY LAW. S 3. This act shall take effect immediately. EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD15252-01-2