Exempts contractors employed by the city of Buffalo from payment of asbestos project notification fees for demolitions.
- May 22, 2013: referred to labor
- May 22, 2013: DELIVERED TO ASSEMBLY
- May 22, 2013: PASSED SENATE
- May 21, 2013: ORDERED TO THIRD READING CAL.712
- May 21, 2013: COMMITTEE DISCHARGED AND COMMITTED TO RULES
- Jan 9, 2013: REFERRED TO LABOR
S698-2013 MeetingsRules: May 21, 2013
S698-2013 CalendarsActive List: May 22, 2013 , Floor Calendar: May 22, 2013
VOTE: COMMITTEE VOTE: - Rules - May 21, 2013
VOTE: FLOOR VOTE: - May 22, 2013
Ayes (61): Adams, Addabbo, Avella, Ball, Bonacic, Boyle, Breslin, Carlucci, DeFrancisco, Diaz, Dilan, Espaillat, Farley, Felder, Flanagan, Fuschillo, Gallivan, Gianaris, Gipson, Golden, Griffo, Grisanti, Hannon, Hassell-Thomps, Hoylman, Kennedy, Klein, Krueger, Lanza, Larkin, Latimer, LaValle, Libous, Little, Marcellino, Marchione, Martins, Maziarz, Montgomery, Nozzolio, O'Brien, Peralta, Perkins, Ranzenhofer, Ritchie, Rivera, Robach, Sampson, Sanders, Savino, Serrano, Seward, Skelos, Smith, Squadron, Stavisky, Stewart-Cousin, Tkaczyk, Valesky, Young, Zeldin
Excused (2): O'Mara, Parker
BILL NUMBER:S698 TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the labor law, in relation to exempting contractors employed by the city of Buffalo from payment of asbestos project notification fees for demolitions PURPOSE: To exempt contractors doing construction work while employed by the City of Buffalo from having to pay asbestos notification fees. SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS: Section 1 Amends Section 904 of the labor law to exempt contractors employed by the city of Buffalo from having to pay asbestos notification fees. Section 2 is the effective date. JUSTIFICATION: The city of Buffalo has requested this legislation by passage of a resolution on September 22, 2011. The city of Buffalo has an overabundance of vacant buildings, many of which are old and contain asbestos. As the city deals with demolition of these buildings it puts a financial strain onto the City. Since July of 2008, over 50% of all demolitions have required the payment of an asbestos notification fee. Many of these projects cost over $4,000, while these fees are not a direct cost to the contractor they are ultimately paid by the City and as a result borne by its tax payers. The City or its asbestos contractors are responsible for performing and testing all removal work, so it is unclear what costs are incurred by the State from these projects. Further when conducting demolitions in the City of Buffalo, the structures in question are often large, have been subdivided and/or have garages or related accessory structures. This may lead to work at one site being deemed to be multiple asbestos projects rather than one, each of which requires submission of a separate asbestos notification fee to the state. PRIOR LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: S.6248 of 2012 - Passed Senate FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: Approximately $619,000 EFFECTIVE DATE: This act shall take effect immediately.
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K ________________________________________________________________________ 698 2013-2014 Regular Sessions I N SENATE (PREFILED) January 9, 2013 ___________ Introduced by Sen. GRISANTI -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Labor AN ACT to amend the labor law, in relation to exempting contractors employed by the city of Buffalo from payment of asbestos project notification fees for demolitions THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
Section 1. Subdivision 2 of section 904 of the labor law, as amended by section 1 of part BB of chapter 57 of the laws of 2009, is amended to read as follows:
2. Any contractor engaged in an asbestos project involving more than two hundred sixty linear feet or more than one hundred sixty square feet of asbestos or asbestos materials shall notify both the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region II, Air and Hazardous Material Division and the commissioner in writing ten days prior to the commence- ment of work on the project or, if emergency conditions make it impossi- ble to provide ten days prior notice, as soon as practicable after iden- tification of the project. The notice to the commissioner shall include the following information: the name, address and asbestos handling license number of the contractor working on the project; the address and description of the building or area, including size, age and prior use of the building or area; the amount of friable asbestos material present in square feet and/or linear feet, if applicable; room designation numbers or other local information where such asbestos material is found unless such material is found throughout the entire structure; the sche- duled starting and completion dates for removal; the procedures and equipment, including ventilating systems that will be employed; any additional information which the commissioner may require; and, EXCEPT FOR CONTRACTORS EMPLOYED BY THE CITY OF BUFFALO TO ENGAGE IN SUCH ASBES- EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD04731-01-3 S. 698 2 TOS PROJECTS, shall be accompanied by a project notification fee as follows:
Project Size/Linear Feet Fee 260-429 $200 430-824 400 825-1649 1,000 1650 or more 2,000 Project Size/Square Feet Fee 160-259 $200 260-499 400 500-999 1,000 1000 or more 2,000 S 2. This act shall take effect immediately.